We grow a wide variety of organic vegetables and fruits at Makaria Farm, from dry beans and edamame soybeans to kohlrabi and Black Krim tomatoes. Customer favourites include our carrots, broccoli and strawberries.
Available each year (depending on the weather, of course):
- sugar snap peas
- cabbage (green, red)
- tromboncino summer squash
- winter squash (butternut, buttercup)
- kale (green curled, Red Russian)
- tomatoes (many, many kinds, including lots of heirloom varieties)
- cucumbers (long English, slicers, pickling)
- Swiss chard
- salad greens
- garlic (fresh, cured, scapes)
- herbs (parsley, cilantro, dill)
- and whatever else strikes our fancy!
Organic fruits (yay strawberries!)
Makaria Farm is known for our organic strawberries.
Available in limited quantities from July through September/October, our strawberries have been described by more than one customer as “the best strawberries in Cowichan.”
We pick our strawberries at their peak, when they are sun-ripened and juicy. These berries are ideal for fresh eating, but also produce a lovely jam.
We grow ever-bearers rather than the usual June-bearers: we find they taste sweeter, and they produce all summer.
The best ways to get strawberries from us is to:
- come to our 7 days/week farm stand: Makaria Farm Market
- come early (9am) to our booth at the Duncan Farmer’s Market
- email or call ahead to arrange for a larger order (1 or more flats)
Please note that we do not offer reduced bulk/flat rates on our strawberries, due to the amount of work required to grow, maintain and harvest them. We do not offer U-Pick.
Want to eat more seasonal, locally-grown food? Check out our easy recipes and storage tips.
The best way to buy fresh, seasonal vegetables from us is at our farm stand. We also sell at local farmer’s markets, and supply various grocers and chefs in Duncan and Victoria BC. Click here for more information on how to access fresh Makaria Farm produce!