**Our 2013 season is now ended. Registration in our 2014 CSA will open soon: please watch this page for updates … **
Sign up for the 6th year of Makaria Farm’s Vegetable Share (CSA) Program and eat fresh-picked, locally-grown vegetables all summer! Click here to register now, or keep reading for details.
What is Community Supported Agriculture (CSA)?
Community Supported Agriculture is a form of direct marketing of fresh vegetables and fruits based on an agreement between farmers and consumers who pay in advance for a regular share of vegetables through the growing season. By collecting payment in advance, we’re able to invest in seeds and infrastructure (e.g. chicken coops, greenhouses) when we need it, and you’re able to reserve a generous share of our super-fresh, top-quality, organic produce for 21 weeks (June to November, 2013).
Why should I subscribe to a Vegetable Share (CSA) Program?
- Convenience. We deliver your weekly bag o’ veggies directly to your door (home or work) all summer. Or, you can choose to pick up your bag at our farm. Our farm stand is loaded with extra vegetables and eggs to make your grocery shopping enjoyable & easy.
- Learn to love food again. Our vegetables are incredibly tasty & super fresh. Discover new favourite vegetables (such as kohlrabi) and new recipes (e.g. kale chips).
- Commit to healthy eating. It’s easy to eat well when your fridge is always stocked with fresh, organic produce.
- Connect with our farm. Our weekly newsletter keeps you up-to-date on our trials and triumphs at Makaria Farm: it keeps you connected with local agriculture, and your food.
- Support local, organic farming. Our Vegetable Share Program is one of the best ways to support sustainable agriculture on Vancouver Island.
What do I get as a CSA Shareholder?
From June 18/20 through November 5/6, 2013 (21 weeks) we will prepare a bag of freshly picked vegetables from our farm for you each week. Each bag includes 7-9 items, as follows:
|1-2 leafy greens||2-3 seasonal treats||1-2 root crops||1-2 flavourings||1-2 brassicas|
|lettuce, chard, spinach, kale||strawberries, sugar snap peas, asparagus, beans, zucchini, squash,
sweet corn, cucumbers, tomatoes
|carrots, beets, potatoes||garlic, onions, leeks,
|broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, kohlrabi|
For example, here’s what a weekly Full Share (which averages $21/week) can include at different times in the season:
- July: 1 lettuce, 1 bunch kale, 1 pint strawberries, 3/4 lb asparagus, 1 bunch beets, 1 bunch garlic scapes, 1 medium kohlrabi
- August: 1 lettuce, 1 lb beans, 2 zucchini, 1-2 lbs tomatoes, 1 lb carrots, 2 lbs potatoes, 1 bulb garlic, 1 lb broccoli, 2 lbs cauliflower
- October: 1 bag spinach, 1 lettuce, 3 lbs winter squash, 2 lbs tomatoes, 1.5 lb carrots, 1 bunch beets, 1-2 lbs onions, 3 lbs cabbage
Both share options include 7-9 items per week, but in larger/smaller quantities:
Suitable for 2 or more people.
- $440 if paid in installments via post-dated cheques
- $425 if paid in one advance payment (discount of $15)
Suitable for one veggie-loving adult.
- $340 if paid in installments via post-dated cheques
- $330 if paid in one advance payment (discount of $10)
Delivery & Pick-up information
You can choose to pick up your weekly bag at Makaria Farm (no charge) or have your vegetables delivered to your door for a small fee. Details:
Cowichan (including Ladysmith, Chemainus, Crofton, Duncan, Mill Bay and Cobble Hill):
- delivery fee of $2/week = $42 total
- delivery area is from Ladysmith to Mill Bay: please click here for a map
- deliveries within the central Duncan / North Cowichan area will be made by bicycle, thanks to our partnership with Cowichan Recyclists!
Victoria (including Langford, Colwood, Esquimalt and Broadmead):
- delivery fee of $3/week = $63 total
- delivery area is from Royal Oak Drive south, from Cadboro Bay to Happy Valley Road: please click here for a map
* If we’re delivering 3 or more members’ shares to a single address, we’ll refund those members’ delivery fees in full. Sign up today, then get your friends and co-workers on board and get free delivery!
Your weekly bag of vegetables will be available for pick up every Tuesday anytime after 1pm at Makaria Farm, just south of Duncan at 4715 Bench Road, only 300m off the Trans Canada Highway:
How to sign up for for our 2013 CSA
Ready to sign up? Please click here to register.
(If you have any questions before registering, please give us a call at 250-597-3276, or email us!)