Want to eat more locally-grown, seasonal food? Strangely, there can be a steep learning curve to incorporating more local whole foods into your diet. Easy recipes are one solution; learning how to properly store fresh vegetables is another secret weapon.
Here are some handy tips and easy, yummy recipes we’ve collected over the years.
NOTE: we are in the process of adding our recipe collection to this website. Please bookmark this page and stay tuned!
- Makaria Farm’s storage tips and a recipe for (almost) any leafy green (e.g. kale, chard, beet tops, spinach)
- Roasted Seasonal Vegetables (use whatever veggies you have in your fridge)
- Garlic Scapes: General Info & Pesto Recipes from Ken and Valerie
- Fresh-pulled Garlic: storage info and how to eat it
- Roasted Garlic Bulbs
Squash (summer and winter)
- Zucchini: pasta, hummus and baked treats
- Winter Squash: Makaria Farm’s Storage Tips & A Basic Recipe
- Winter Squash: curing & storage guide from the fine folk at Johnny’s Selected Seeds
- Pumpkin Pie (using an actual pumpkin)
- Award-Winning Walker Family Pie Crust (possible Cowichan-grown fillings: pumpkin, apple, strawberry, rhubarb, blueberry)
- Strawberries (how to freeze the harvest and make a mean strawberry daiquiri, plus some random info that will make your strawberry experience even better)
More Local Recipes
Check out these websites for more great recipes from local-food lovers: